From Smith & Daughters A cookbook (that happens to be vegan)
200 g brown rice
1 green capsicum, finely diced
1 red capsicum, finely diced
1 onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons crushed garlic
100 g instant oats (blitzed to resemble rough flour)
80 g (1/2 cup) gluten flour
100 g (1/2 cup) tinned brown lentils
55 g (1/2 cup) chickpea flour
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon chilli flakes
1 teaspoon drief oregano
15 g nutritional yeast (optional)
1 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
small handful flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
small handful basil, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
olive oil spray
1. Cook rice in plenty of salted boiling water over medium heat until almost over cooked, about 20 minutes). Drain and set aside in large bowl.
2. Heat large glug of oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the capsicum, onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 mins.
3. Add the cooked vegetables to the rice along with the remaining ingredients. Season to taste and mix well. Set aside in the fridge for atleast 1 hour.
4. Shape the mixture into small balls. If mixture is too wet add flour. Refrigerate until firm.
5. Heat nonstick frying pan with plenty of oil and fry the meatballs in batches over medium heat until golden brown all over. Alternatively spray the meatballs with olive oil and cook in a 170 degree oven on a baking tray on baking paper for 20-30 minutes, until golden brown.
Plant based eating. All my favourite recipes in one place